I decided to make a big loaf of this sweet but relatively healthy Lemon Coconut Bread to have for breakfast throughout the week. I found it on Farmgirl Fare, an adorable food blog from a courageous woman who gave up city living for farm living.
The recipe sounded delicious, so I didn’t make any adjustments- and it turned out beautifully and deliciously!
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder (make sure it’s fresh!)
½ teaspoon salt
1¼ cups granulated sugar
2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
¾ cup milk
½ cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon lemon zest (or more if you want a bigger kick of lemon)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup (1 stick or ¼ pound) butter, melted
1. Heat the oven to 350°. Grease and flour an 8×4 inch or 9×5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt, then stir in the sugar and coconut.
3. In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture, stirring just until combined.
5. Add the melted butter and stir just until smooth. Be careful not to overmix.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 65 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the loaf comes out clean.