I had leftover sweet potatoes from my Moroccan Chicken and Potato Stew, so I searched for an easy recipe containing sweet potatoes. I stumbled upon this slightly sweet, slightly savory, and wholly easy recipe for soup.
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potatoes, cut into chunks and boiled until tender
- 2 carrots, chopped into pieces and boiled until tender
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
In a heavy saucepot, over medium-low heat, cook the flour and butter, stirring constantly until roux achieves a light caramel color. Add the broth and brown sugar, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Stir in the sweet potatoes and spices, bring to a simmer again, and cook for 5 minutes more. With an immersion blender, puree the soup in batches and return to saucepot. Add the milk, and reheat soup. Season with salt and pepper, ladle into warm soup bowls and serve.