Feeling down? I’ve been sick and feeling irritable lately, so I found a helpful article from Discovery Health on beating the winter blues. Here are my favorites from the list of 27 Home Remedies for Seasonal Affective Disorder:
- Soak up the morning light. Get as much natural light as possible between 6:00 A.M. and 8:00 A.M. Engage in regular aerobic exercise. The perfect solution to kill two birds with one stone- go for a morning run outside!
- Let the sun shine in- keep your curtains raised!
- Vacation in a warm, sunny place- this works out for me considering my upcoming trips to Israel and Florida!
- Eat good foods, including the following:
- Bouillon- drink some hot bouillon or broth to warm you up and fill you up
- Herbal teas- opt for herbal; chamomile and peppermint are my favorite!
- Legumes- apparently these help you “maintain an even serotonin level throughout the day and night.” Some good options are lentil butternut squash soup or black bean soup
My other go-to tips:
- Read a good book- I just picked up Jurassic Park!
- Buy fresh flowers- Trader Joes stocks cheap and beautiful flowers all year. I love peonies and hydrangeas
- Plan fun friend dates- try a winter walk with peppermint coffees or going to a new restaurant. I have a dinner date at the new Bayou DC this week!
- Pick up a fun new hobby- my new photography class forces me to get out and see the beauty in winter
- Get friends together for a fun outdoor activity- snowball fight, volleyball game, tag?
- Blog! As I’ve mentioned, blogging makes me see positivity in everyday life because I know I’m “accountable” to my blog readers