Over the past year or so, I have gleaned a lot of very useful kitchen tips, both out of necessity and curiosity. This is what I’ve learned so far:
- Keep fruit flies at bay by setting out a bowl of water with vinegar and dish soap. They are attracted to the vinegar then the soap kills them.
- A cookie sheet, with a plate on top to weigh it down, is a viable alternative to a Crockpot lid
- Place hardened brown sugar in a bowl next to a cup of hot water; microwave for 1-2 minutes to re-moisten the sugar
- An oven mitt with a silicone side can serve double-duty as a jar opener
- A step-top trash can is worth the investment
- Microwaving sponges help prevent that gross sponge smell and kills bacteria
- An immersion blender is the best $15 investment ever
- Plastic grocery store containers (like the ones feta comes in) make great reusable Tupperware
- Zucchini does not need to be blanched before freezing. Simply grate it and place it in a Ziploc bag. This was helpful when I bought 7 zucchini for $1.50 and couldn’t use them all at once!
- 1/2 a cup of coffee grounds = 8 cups of coffee
- Freeze coffee grounds to keep them fresh
- Coffee cubes are great for preventing watered-down coffee on hot summer days
I’m sure I’ll think of more tips soon, but feel free to post yours in the comment sections [My stats tell me that you’re out there, so I encourage you to comment!]