I realized today that establishing a post-grad life is just like entering your freshman year of college. There are exciting opportunities and adventures to be had, but there are also intimidating challenges to overcome.
1. Figuring out who your real friends are: you cast your net wide and hope that you’ll have close friends as soon as possible! For me, I never want to turn down an opportunity to meet a new friend, but eventually, I have to tighten my friend group.
2. Forming an extra-curricular life: in college, you have hundreds of extra-curriculars presented to you; there are fewer options during post-grad but they do exist (goodbye GW Social Enterprise Forum and CBC, hello Change the Triangle and Triangle blog group)!
3. Adapting to a new schedule: freshman year, it was about the freedom to set your own schedule; now it’s about fitting back into a more standard 9am-5pm schedule.
4. Solidifying your eating habits: freshman year, it was figuring out how to eat healthy with only a GWorld and a mini fridge; now it’s about how to pack healthy lunches for full days at the office!
5. Moving into new living quarters: unless you lived at home during school or moved back home after graduation, you’re adapting to life in a new residence- hopefully your post-grad accommodations are a step above your freshman year digs though 🙂 Either way, both entail meeting neighbors, decorating, and remembering not to lock yourself out.
6. Proving yourself: freshman year you worried (or maybe you were too busy hanging out at Japone!) about keeping your GPA up; now you think about impressing your first “real” boss.
7. Wondering about the future: freshman year you pondered what life would be like as a senior (and you could enter the mysterious and mystical place called McFaddens); now you wonder what your next career move should be.
8. Trying to manage your finances: during freshman year, it was debating whether you could afford another Starbucks iced coffee; now it’s…debating whether you can afford another iced coffee. Haha!
And there you have it- 8 reasons why adapting to post-graduation life is just like freshman year!
Can you think of any other parallels between the two life transitions?